Recently I competed in the Toastmasters International Speech Contest that is held every spring. The title of my speech was “Follow Your Heart”. I set a Big Audacious Goal to win the World Champion of Public Speaking Contest that will be held in Denver in August. To get there one must win the club, area, division and district levels. At the district level all the contestants’ speeches are professionally videotaped with the winner’s video sent to Toastmasters International for the regionals. The winners of each region will then compete in the Semifinals. Ten excellent speakers will compete for the World Champion of Public Speaking in Denver in front of 2,000+ people from all over the world.
I won at the club and area levels but didn’t even place at the division level. On a conscious level I expected and believed I was going to win! So what happened? I could make all kinds of excuses about why I lost before reaching my goal. Was it because:
- Right before I went on the stage to give my speech the contest was delayed which made the MC, audience and judges upset and therefore in a bad mood?
- The judges are known to rate the first speaker (who happened to be me) harder than the following 6 speakers?
- I felt I didn’t deserve to win and therefore sabotaged myself by not speaking as well as I could?
Actually the 3rd reason is closer to the truth than you think. You see, science has proven that we are not really run by our conscious beliefs but by our unconscious beliefs. These mostly negative beliefs were formed when we were young and are still in charge after 30, 40, 50+ years unless we recognize them and do something to change them. How do you recognize them? One way is to look for a pattern that has happened several times in your life. It might involve different people and different places but you are the common denominator. You can blame other people, change jobs, move to different cities or make new friends but your unconscious negative beliefs go with you wherever you go.
How do you change an unconscious negative belief? There are actually many ways; a few are:
- Repeating a positive affirmation 100’s of times can change a negative belief: ex. I am worthy of winning any speech contest.
- You can use the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) to release a negative belief and then tap on acupressure points to instill a positive belief. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAclBdj20ZU
- You can go to a naturopath who will connect you to a few probs and read the information that shows up. It’s called Bio Feedback.
When my friend, Naturopath John Ayo, told me that I had an unconscious belief that I was a failure, I could hardly believe it! It sounded so awful, yet what if it was true? Then I remembered whenever I had competed in speech contests in the past I had never won at the division level. I saw there was a pattern and now I knew why. I had this unconscious belief that I was a failure. That belief has since been healed and released with different energy healing modalities.
I am so grateful that I entered the speaking contest because it caused a deep negative belief to surface so that it could be healed and released. That’s how the Universe works sometimes. You have an experience thinking it’s for one reason but the real reason shows up in an entirely different way, seemingly out of the blue. By releasing negative beliefs and replacing them with positive beliefs you can move forward in life to attain that Big Audacious Goal!
Do you know what your negative beliefs are and are you doing anything about it? Look for the patterns in your life…or better yet, ask someone close to you. Many times other people can see what’s happening much more clearly than you. Then research how to release negative beliefs so that you can reach your Big Audacious Goal!
Hugs and Love,
©2019 Dawnie Dahir